Balinese religious festivities are governed by the lunar calendar, so they don't fall on specific dates. Every month citizens celebrate the arrival of the full moon and present offerings in their homes and temples.
Public Holidays in Bali
- New Year's Day: New Year's celebration according to the Christian calendar (1st January).
- Nyepi: Balinese "Day of Silence" celebrated the day before the Hindu New Year. A day of silence, fasting and meditation.
- Hari Paskah: Easter.
- Hari Waisak: Commemorates the birth, enlightenment and death of Gautama Buddha.
- Ascension Day of Jesus Christ.
- Hari Proklamasi Kemerdekaan: Indonesian Independence Day (17th August).
- Galungan: Ten-day celebration of the gods coming down to earth celebrated in Balinese Hinduism.
- Kuningan: Celebration of the end of Galungan.
- Eid al-Adha: Muslim "Festival of the Sacrifice".
- Maulid Nabi Muhammed: Birth of the prophet Mohammed.
- Isra Miraj Nabi Muhammed: Journey to Heaven of the Prophet Mohamed.
- Idul Fitri: Celebration of the end of Ramadan.